Wednesday, January 02, 2008

all right, all right... FINE

I'll update.

Truth be told, I'm real, real glad that these holidays are over. I ate, drank, and spent too much, and I'm happy that the cold has finally arrived so that I can hibernate in every way possible.

Not that my holidays weren't wonderful. My family time was charming, as always: a perfect holiday dinner at Trois, and then a couple of days of civilized Christmas cheer at home. Our place is a sort of "Island of Misfit Toys" at the holidays, and anyone who is in need of company, a fire, a drink, and a meal are welcome. I got some gifts, gave some gifts, and really did appreciate everything.

I spent a lot of time with friends this holiday. The OSW was off work for almost as long as I was, so we had our fair share of quality time. There were tons of parties - including one thrown by the OSW and yours truly - and it seemed that everyone was out and about every night. I will confess that I may have "celebrated" a bit too much, but 'twas the season, I suppose. I'm writing this now in hopes that at this time next year, I'll re-read it and stay in and resist temptation a little more. Oh, and I went on one of the WORST dates of my entire career, which didn't do much for my sense that the dating scene in Atlanta is anything but hopeless.

As for New Year's Eve, it may come as a surprise to some of you to learn that I stayed in on December 31st. I had some pretty wonderful options, but the more I thought about it, the more I felt like a fifth wheel at each of them, so I decided to stay at home. Also, I felt like I was really working up the energy to go out, and when you have to work at it that hard, it's probably a good idea to stay home. On New Year's Day, I learned that I didn't miss much at either event, that both were fun, but fairly predictable experiences, so I'm glad I stayed in for the evening.

So. What does one do when home alone on New Year's Eve? Well, I ordered Chinese food, had a cocktail, and thought long and hard about what it is that I want.

It is with a touch of melancholy that I start 2008, but I think I know what to do about it. I won't bore you with my list of totally predictable resolutions. Suffice it to say that I learned a lot in 2007, and will use the coming year to put it into useful practice.

Peace to all of you.

No comments: