Tuesday, August 14, 2007

i need some oxygen

Because my breath has been taken away.

Whenever Norma comes out to play, she seems to help the people come together. NOT THAT WAY, POTTYBRAINS! In a fun, communal, and hysterical way.

To wit...

The OSW and I worked on something that was odd and fun and completely nebulous, while simultaneously familiar and very special to us, two friends...sisters of a kind...who just wanted to freak out together for a little while. A dear and brilliant friend came to town to coordinate this madness. The DJ laid down some phat beats and infectious grooves, and Doug Anne worked magic with the followspot. Various artists contributed their extraordinary skills and resources to effect the magnificent specifics that gave some pizazz to our show. Everyone from all walks of life came down to just laugh and clap and drink and have a damn good time. One grandmother said, "Oh!...this reminds me of when I used to live in New Orleans and we would just go and see the shows and have a lot of fun!"

However, the one image that sticks in my mind that celebrates the crazy diversity and joy of our performance was a photo of me and my mother. I was in Norma's splendid drag, and she insisted that we have a photo taken together. Her face beamed wide and proud and happy. It might have been us at my college graduation, or at any one of my "legit" performances, or at my first day of school...

*Note to reader: My mother is completely accepting of my sexuality and life. She (and everyone else in my family) accepts my life, my friends, and my sometimes-odd artistic expression.

But she also appreciates the fact that I am an ACTOR, and that Norma is a role for me, and that it brings me great joy. She understands that I have a range, and that my performances bring a lot of very different people together. That particular type of joy brings her great pleasure, which itself is joyful.

Good, good times, y'all.

No comments: