Wednesday, August 22, 2007

i'm sorry

but...

I have to rehash an old cliche.

It's fuckin' hot in this damn town.

I know, I know: what do I expect? I grew up here, I know that it's ridiculously hot here in August. In fact, I know that it will not let up until...oh, I don't know...HALLOWEEN!

But this shit is gettin' to me. Like my friend the OSW said, "people are going crazy. their cranky and everything is dying." According to Wikipedia, the term "dog days..."

"...was coined by the ancient Romans, who called these days caniculares dies (days of the dogs) after Sirius (the "Dog Star"), the brightest star in the heavens besides the Sun.

Popularly believed to be an evil time "when the seas boiled, wine turned sour, dogs grew mad, and all creatures became languid, causing to man burning fevers, hysterics, and phrensies" - Brady’s Clavis Calendarium, 1813.

The Dog Days originally were the days when Sirius, the Dog Star, rose just before or at the same time as sunrise, which is no longer true owing to precession of the equinoxes.

The ancients sacrificed a brown dog at the beginning of the Dog Days to appease the rage of Sirius, believing that that star was the cause of the hot, sultry weather."

Phrensies, indeed. And God, it must be hot: the OSW said "their" when he meant "they're." I do, however, think that his hydrangeas will survive, thus protecting his status as a true Old Southern Woman.

Apparently, the NY Times recently ran an article about why one should consider purchasing a log cabin in Newfoundland. They can be had for $20K, and you sit on your porch and watch huge chunks of ice float by on the river. As the global warming accelerates, I'm sure that by the time I retire my newfound cabin will be beachfront property, so the investment opportunities are endless. All joking aside, I do predict a surge in home sales in regions where the climate is more temperate. This shit will make you crazy.

The bright side (rather, the crispy, parched side) is that this appalling weather makes my departure for the Cape all the more satisfying. The forecast is for low-to-mid-70's during the day and cool, crisp low-60's at night. Perfect weather for...well, Just about everything.

1 comment:

Matt said...

i am mortified! a misspelling! it IS the heat.