Sunday, November 25, 2007

guilty as charged

During my last few days off for Thanksgiving break, I have committed every one of Dante's Seven Deadly Sins:

Luxuria (extravagance, later lust) - Ohhhh, I have lusted in my heart, all righty. A coupla Junior League-ers, and most notably a surprise guest at my parents' cocktail party. He's a carpenter - and a former professional windsurfer - who also does triathlons and bikes a hundred miles a day or something. *Sigh* Those of you who were with me in P'Town for Labor Day will know what I mean when I say - TICKETS!

Gula (gluttony) - Well...let's see. Had a decadent Ladies Who Lunch Dinner with the OSW at Rathbun's, where we sampled every Small Plate on the menu, and wished to sample the meaty bartender. Ooops..that should go under lust. Funny how they are sorta the same. Between that and the typically extraordinary traditional Thanksgiving dinner at my folks house, well...I may just hafta think about putting my gym membership to work.

Avaritia (greed) - More more MORE!

Acedia (sloth) - I have not risen before 10 AM since Tuesday. I haven't lifted a finger to address the mountain of work that awaits me when I get back into the swing tomorrow. As for today, well...it's Sunday, cold, and rainy in Atlanta. I woke up, got breakfast, planted myself on the couch, and have been watching movies all day. Glorious.

Ira (wrath, more commonly known as anger) - I'm very angry with myself for something, but I'm not quite sure what it is.

Invidia (envy) - I'm jealous of people who have someone to sit with on the couch and be slothful and feed them decadent food.

and Superbia (pride) - Ahhh. My favorite. I'm proud of my family, and the extraordinary laughter that fills our dining room on such holidays. I'm proud of the fact that I know from whence I come, and it is a very funny, accepting place. I'm proud of my friends who remind me that I'm not alone. And I'm proud of the freedom I have to be what I want.

No comments: