Wednesday, May 16, 2007

dolly'll never go away...

You know, it has indeed been quite a long time since I've written, and I think I have a good reason for that.

Actually, I HAVE written quite a bit in the last little while. I'll be inspired to write about something, I'll sit and punch it out, and then read it....only to select-all-delete the whole damn thing.

Why?

Because nine times out of ten the tone of my writing was bitter, judgemental, and just plain stinkin' negative. And I din't like it one bit.

Topics included that high school quarterback to killed himself in a drunken car accident, Rev. Jerry F.'s death, some bits n' pieces in our fair local newspaper, etc. But my take on each of those things had a decidedly hurtful slant to it, and I did not like how I sounded. And no amount of clever wordplay seemed to diminish the meanness of my commentary.

Something has shifted in me recently. Now, I'm still acerbic, sardonic, and critical. I don't think that my wit has dulled in any way.

But I (re)started this blog to hone my writing and simultaneously get some stuff out, and part of that is picking and choosing how I present myself. It is a theme that has manifested itself in my home, my diet, and my body. I welcome the change.

I just hope this isn't the "manic" phase of a developing bipolar disorder. That would fuckin' suck.

No comments: