Tuesday, April 03, 2007

how odd...

You know, it seems that death and sadness always surround me at this time of year. Which is strange to me, because my city is bursting into bloom as we speak.

A friend of a friend died last week, prompting them all to band together in grief. I did not know her (I met "the gang" after everyone had gone down other paths), but still...it hurts me to see my friends in pain, even though the importance of life is not lost on these wonderful people.

A friend of the family passed away yesterday, unexpectedly. My folks are being their usual wonderful selves, supporting and being good friends.

Another friend of mine had a health scare and, while not a "death" experience, it certainly brought her mortality into the fore.

And, you know, two years ago a dear friend was diagnosed with cancer. A year later - at this time of year - he died.

What is it about this time of year? And I'm not even bringing up the Jesus thing.

I'm rambling, but I suspect the point is a cliche: life goes on, the circle of life, enjoy the time you have, treasure every moment, etc. It is simultaneously maddening and empowering that the song "The Hokey Pokey" got it right:

"That's what it's all about."

I think I'll go shake it all about.

No comments: