Tuesday, March 20, 2007

god bless cabaret!



Oy. Working like clazy. I love my work, but now...I have a higher purpose.

I'm going to do a cabaret.

Yes, it's true. Recently, I was lamenting the preponderance of krappy dumb-ass, omnipresent, and just plain bad drag shows here in town. On any given night in Atlanta, you can go witness some bad, tired, and over-"enhanced" queen prance around and do nothing while demanding that you give her a dollar - and bitch at you because it's not five or ten.

Seriously: at Blake's, when they introduce the queen, there is an embarrassing smattering of applause. The hostess then says, "OK! We gon' try this again! Let's give it UP for...blah blah blah blah blah...."

Honey, if you have to BEG for the love, it's time to hang it up.

So. Long story short (too late!), I was expressing this very sentiment to a friend recently. We were discussing the whole problem with drag (and live performances in gay bars in general), when he suggested a night at Mary's. You see, there is no THEATER to the drag nowadays, and Mary's might be just the venue for something new...and old. A real throwback to the good old days of fun, campy, silliness.

Well, well, well...bibbidee-bobbidee-boo. We might just have a date.

I have some big ideas, and a lot of help from some very capable friends. I'll sing my own music, too...with live and recorded accompaniment. Also, a few special guests. Think of "The Carol Burnett Show" meets "Laugh In" by way of "The Match Game."

What the fuck have I gotten myself into?

3 comments:

RJ said...

who is going to play Gene Rayburn?

E said...

Who gives a fuck about him? I've got a CNR (Charles Nelson Reilly) and a Bret Sommers. What else do you need?

RJ said...

Betty White? Richard Dawson? Too bad it wasn't Hollywod Squares....I would channel my inner Paul Lynde