Tuesday, March 06, 2007

chalk one up for the single guy

So. I purchased a lovely set of shelves from West Elm today, despite the protestations of some of my more - how does one put it delicately - PRETENTIOUS friends. Sorry, I don't make $300k per year, nor can I afford to have someone else make all of my decisions for me. I needed storage, the shelves were well-priced, attractive, made of real wood, and available. The only thing required was some home-assembly.

I picked up the HUGE box from the store, and carted it home by myself. I also put it on a (hello) dolly and carted it up the stairs, through my lobby, and into the elevator (I also don't make enough money to afford a condo with a doorman). I then uncrated the frame and the shelves and assorted hardware, and put the thing together - by myself.

I keep reiterating the "by myself" thing because there are cautions plastered all over the box and instructions: "Proper assembly of this item requires two (2) people."

A petty triumph, but I'll take what I can get...

1 comment:

RJ said...

Doing things on your own is BEST. Don't you agree Tina?