Monday, April 21, 2008

simple joys have a simple voice...

...that says, "why not go ahead?"

Okey doke. This might seem very 'well, well, well-ish' of me, but here's a recap (more for my own memory than your entertainment...sorry).

On Friday night, the DJ and I decided to have a smart cocktail in the neighborhood. The weather was Picture Perfect, and the pull was too great to resist. So we both walked (yes, walked...it was fabulous) to Steel, the new Asian-Fusion-Steakhouse-Trendy Bar/Restaurant/Lounge in the Plaza Midtown. I hate to sound jaded, but you seen one Asian-Fusion-Steakhouse-Trendy Bar/Restaurant/Lounge in a glass condo in Atlanta - you seen 'em all. I mean, it's NICE and everything, but I'm waiting for the next thing in restaurants to take us away from the slick, concrete-and-glass, water treatment-ish type of thing that prevails in town. But the company was extraordinary, and we had an enjoyable time. Even when we went to Gilbert's, which seems to have gone the way of Burkhart's on Fridays. I mean, braided belts and acid-washed denim shorts really don't belong anymore. Just sayin'. Neither does anything from the International Male catalog, no matter how recent the issue. Ok, I'll cut the catty.

For the first time in a very, very long time, I didn't have to work on Saturday, so I slept in a bit. It was glorious. I had a couple of errands to run on Saturday, all of which were within walking distance (again!) of my home. So I put on my iPod and set about running two errands.

FOUR HOURS LATER I returned home because I simply could not resist the temptation to walk and walk and walk and walk around my neighborhood. The weather was too perfect, and we are just at the apex of the gorgeous Atlanta spring. Knowing that this was probably my last opportunity this year to see the dogwoods in full bloom, I strolled around Midtown with great music underscoring the stunning day. Walked up the streets and checked out some houses. Turned into the park and explored every corner. I haven't felt that inclined to spend time outdoors in a long time, and it felt wonderful.

Home for few domestic tasks, then off to the OSW's for a rather amazing dinner. The best part about not being a cook m'self is that it usually results in dinner invitations to the OSW's house. The company was even better than the food. Anyhoo, we walked up Fifth Skreet to an engagement party which was lovely, but I'd like to encourage all heterosexuals to find a new theme for their kasual get-togethers. Tex-mex is a little played out. Just sayin'. Ok, I'll cut the catty. After that, we hit the W Hotel, which was not unlike the aforementioned restaurant. I mean, there must be a new aesthetic just around the corner. The just MUST be!

On Sunday, I slept in a bit again, then went to work (as much as it killed me to do so - the weather was perfect once again). After that, a classic Family Roundup at the Ponderosa in honor of my father's sixtieth birthday. Sixty. Amazing. There were no "old jokes" and krap like that...just all of us eating good food, laughing, and talking about the future. Good times.

And in the Toot My Own Horn department, I managed to avoid all wicked temptation to eat badly. Sure, I may have consumed a certain quantity of empty calories thanks to a few gin-and-tonics, but I didn't consume one chicken biscuit, cheeseburger, or quesadilla to make things better.

So. I stayed on track, had some fun, walked a lot, had dinner with the OSW, had great family time, and enjoyed so much of what Our Fair City has to offer. A pretty great weekend, if ya ask me.

No comments: