Wednesday, March 05, 2008

hay

Had a great time in Los Angeles. Previously, I have always said that I hate LA. Now, I can honestly say that I like it, and was able to find inspiration there.

A brief rundown (more for my own memory than your entertainment...sorry):

Celeb sightings: RuPaul (sans drag), Rami from Project Runway, Vince Vaughn, and Paula Poundstone. In fact I sat next to Paula on the whole flight from Atlanta to LA, and somehow managed to avoid speaking with her. She had this distinct look that said, "Please leave me alone." Not crazy, not uppity, just a celebrity who didn't want to spend four hours talking to a stranger. I was happy to oblige. I was a non-celebrity who just wanted to read. Oh, and we drove by Cher's compound in Malibu. Didn't see her, though. Like she'd just HAPPEN to be taking out the trash or something...

Bar Review: Loved Akbar and MJ's. While at Akbar, Kenny and I were approached by TWO different groups of people, just to chat and say hay. You wouldn't believe how rare that is, so I was enchanted.

You know what? West Hollywood? Feh. We spent precious little time there, and - truth be told - that's fine with me. I mean, I'm sure that I could have a great time there, but I think we were all happier in other venues. Not that I'm the most "alternative" person in the world, but everyone looked like plastic molds of one another, and I just need a little difference in flavor...

Best lounge experience by far? The Dresden Room. It defies description. I'll try someday, but suffice it to say that Norma has found the next venue for her act. Maybe PTB can come do a little backup retardation....

We saw a terrible movie (Be Kind..Rewind) in an amazing movie theater (the Arclight). When you buy tickets online for any show at this theater, they note that when they say the movie begins at 8:15, it will begin shortly thereafter. They do not show advertisements, and the previews are brief. Additionally, they CLOSE the doors at the start of the movie. If you haven't made it in by then, well...tough titty. Awesome.

We went to the Getty Villa, to view the newly-restored building and the antiquities collection that is housed within its walls. It was absolutely wonderful. Kenny and I drifted around the stunningly-restored villa, and marveled at the breathtaking art and gardens. And it's FREE!

But, as always, the best trips are about the company. It felt great to visit with old friends and see their lives. And it was great to return home to new(er) friends. Mission accomplished: a change of scenery restored my outlook, and I feel ready to sally forth.

I'm not even very angry about the work crew that began working on my roof this morning - AT SEVEN A.M. Well, maybe just a little angry.

No comments: