Friday, March 09, 2007

a blessing or a curse?


So the DJ and I had a little din-din at Ecco last night. Being responsible, eco-friendly intown residents, we decided to pick a place that was both charming and within walking distance of our condos. We also prefer to avoid any instance of drunk driving, as the cops in this town do NOT negotiate on that point.

We strolled to Ecco, and it was warm in the room. Atlanta's seasons are in flux right now (well, I suppose EVERYONE's seasons are in flux right now), so it was clear that the restaurant didn't crank up the A/C and since it was a full house, it was quite warm. So I decided I wanted a cool drink, something a little sweet, but not a cosmo. Sometimes they make cosmos with that krappy high-fructose corn syrup mix, which guarantees a fun night of some really hot reflux action. A group of well-made gals to my right were all drinking a very light, fruity-looking martini with a slice of blood orange in it, and it looked like to would satisfy, so I asked what it was.

"Delicious," one of them said.

"Could you be more specific? I don't think I can order a delicious from the bartender."

"Oh...it's a cosmo but it's made with honey melon vodka, so it's sweet but not tooo sweet."

Perfect. I ordered two and opened a tab. And the drinks were indeed delicious. Eventually, we found a table, and I went to close out with the bar. The bartender handed me the check, and I almost fell down.

It was $35 for the two drinks.

$35. WHAT?!?

Now, I hate to make a scene, and I just downright NEVER question a bill (a topic for another day), but I had to ask if there was some mistake. There wasn't...apparently, that neat honey-melon-vodka is quite expensive.

What is this, Miami? The new Ian Schrager hotel in London? Jeez. I'm glad that Atlanta is stepping things up, but come on, y'all. Needless to say, we moved on after dinner, and found some cheaper drinks. But again, that's a tale for another day...

No comments: